History of Prospect Community Church
Prospect Missionary Church had its humble beginning in 1936 when the first meeting was held in an upstairs room of the local Opera House. Just months earlier, a pastor from the Stouffville Church visited two of his former members, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Brown who had moved to Colborne. The Browns expressed a desire to see a church planted in Colborne with the same doctrinal stand as Stouffville. Plans came to fruition in January of the following year when regular meetings began in a storefront on the east side of Victoria Square. The services were conducted by two missionaries, Rebecca Hostetler and Violet Herber.
May 1, 1937 marked the arrival of the first pastor, Mr. Lloyd K. Sider, a student minister with sincere plans. January 15, 1940 was the date of the first official business meeting, and the congregation was operating as a branch of the Stouffville Mennonite Brethren in Christ Church until August 16, 1940 when it was officially recognized as a member of the district.
Rev. H.L. Kennedy was the next pastor to arrive, appointed by the district in September of 1941. It was at this time that the congregation felt a keen desire to acquire a more suitable building. The church board was directed to a building on King Street , formerly a church 56 years previously. The congregation sensed the Lord’s leading as they purchased the structure for $1,500 dollars! Renovation work followed and finally in December of 1944, the new building was opened and dedicated. In 1947, the denomination changed its name to Prospect Missionary Church. In the fall of 1952, the church purchased a lot on Church Street East to erect a parsonage. A year later, the work was completed, done entirely by the hands of the men of the congregation. On November 20, 1960, the congregation was thrilled to hold a mortgage burning ceremony to commemorate the paying off of the church building and the parsonage.
Two years later, the basement of the church was remodeled and made into space for Sunday School rooms. 1964 was a banner year for the congregation with the modernization of the auditorium, the installation of an indoor baptistry, and the donation of a beautiful organ.
In May of 1976, the church board began to seriously consider the existing facilities of the church. Due to steady growth, there was a deep desire on the part of the congregation to ascertain some more space in which to conduct classes, socials, etc. It had been a long-time desire of the board to purchase the house which was situated on the east side of the church. The board approached the owner of the house and after some negotiations, the house was purchased and put into immediate use for Sunday School rooms. The purchase also allowed for the enlargement of the parking lot.. The structure was named “The Friendship House”, and was dedicated in May of the following year.
In 1982, a Mrs. Rabee approached the church board concerning the large house which bordered the church on the north side, behind the Friendship House. The structure, formerly a charismatic meeting place, had been turned into a house and was being put up for sale. Mrs. Rabee, realizing the accessibility of the house, offered the congregation a miraculous purchasing price if they were willing to consider it. After some deliberation, the church board, certain of the Lord’s hand in such an offer, decided to purchase the property and the house.
The building was named Prospect House. The parking lot was enlarged a second time and the kitchen and main auditorium were remodeled. Most youth meetings and women’s meetings were held there, along with prayer and evening services.
Currently, Prospect Community Church offers vibrant fellowship through worship, Biblical teaching and outreach to the community by providing the following ministries:
Church Service and Sunday School – 10:00 A.M.
Kidz Zone – Tuesdays 3:00 – 4:30
Home Groups who meet at various homes during the week
Food Bank and Clothing Cupboard – three times per month
Vacation Bible School during the month of August
We are a friendly church and look forward to your visit!
History is a wonderful measure of the Lord’s hand in everything, and it is with a great deal of praise and thanksgiving that the Colborne congregation looks toward the future.